Video and poll: Robot Cars?
Levinson states that there is a strong likelihood we will have machine-driven cars in the next ten years, however a total transition from 100% of the people driving their own cars to 0%, will take some time. Which advantages of robot cars, as outlined by Levinson, most appeal to you? (Choose up to 3)
- Better safety: robots have instantaneous reaction timesópeopleís reaction times are slow. Robotís donít use the cell phone, nor get tired, etc.
- People will be able to get around well into old age.
- Pollution will change with battery-operated robot cars; the electricity needed will be generated away from the cars and away from the Cities; maybe even using renewable resources.
- None! I donít like the idea of robot cars.
After watching the video on the self-driving Google car (deployed now for over one year, and 100,000 miles), how comfortable do you think you would feel riding through busy traffic during your morning commute?
- I would choose another option for commuting.
- Iíd be clutching the dashboard during the entire ride.
- Excited for the experience, but would be ready to react and take over driving at any moment.
- Iíd eat breakfast while enjoying the sites.
- Iíd have my head buried in my laptop, trying to get some work done.